Back to Exhibitions
Louis C. Tiffany and the Art of Devotion - October 12, 2012 - January 20, 2013Location: Museum of Biblical Art
Detail: Tiffany Studios Antependium Window
Press ReleaseLouis C. Tiffany and the Art of Devotion will consider the array of church decorations and memorials that Louis C. Tiffany (1848-1933) produced beginning in the early 1880s. For 50 years, working under a variety of company names, Tiffany oversaw production and marketing of a vast assortment of decorative elements for many of America’s leading congregations—Protestant, Catholic and Jewish. Tiffany employed designers, draftsmen, and craftspeople who produced decorative wall treatments, mosaic floors, lighting, furniture, altarpieces, pulpits, candlesticks, and liturgical vestments. A large component of the business of religious art also consisted of funerary memorials that ranged from simple bronze tablets and single headstones to leaded-glass windows and fully decorated mausolea. Works in many media—marble, glass, wood, metal, and fabric—could be had “off the rack” with minimal personalization or as one-of-a-kind commissions, designed exclusively for a particular patron.
For more information on this exhibition, please click here to visit MOBiA's website.